Mass Mentoring Partnership’s (MMP) Quality-Based Membership initiative (QBM), launched in 2008, is a first-in-the-nation process created to promote high-quality best practices among Massachusetts youth mentoring programs. Now being replicated nationally, membership components are based on The Elements of Effective Practice. This free process acknowledges what programs are doing well. Membership:
- Provides a meaningful “indicator of quality”
- Benchmarks program practices against national standards of excellence
- Demonstrates program commitment to excellence to potential mentors, funders, parents, and community partners
QBM also helps youth mentoring programs identify practice areas that could be improved. MMP provides support throughout the process to help programs achieve the highest level of membership, Partner. With all of our services and resources dedicated to programs in membership, we encourage Massachusetts mentoring programs to become members. There are currently more than 370 member programs at the Affiliate, Associate Partner, or Partner member levels.
Benefits of Membership
Benefits vary depending on the level of membership, and may include eligibility for MMP grants, mentor referrals, discounts on registration for MMP trainings and workshops, priority for in-kind donations of admissions, tickets and match activities, a listing in MMP’s online program directory, and more.
- Mentor referrals – Programs must be at least an Affiliate Member in order to participate in mentor recruitment campaigns and receive mentor referrals.
- Match activities – Programs must be at least an Affiliate Member in order to receive match activity tickets (sporting events, museums, etc.) and special opportunities connected to match activity events. Associate Partners or Partner Members may receive priority in some instances
- AmeriCorps Ambassadors of Mentoring – Programs must be at least an Affiliate Member in order to be awarded a placement of an Ambassador of Mentoring.
- MMP grants – Mini-grants for recruitment activities available at all membership levels; grants for Partner members only; grants for Associate Partner or Partner Members only; state line items grants for programs in membership as well as those encouraged to become members.
- Free Technical Assistance (TAP) – Programs must be at least an Affiliate member to receive free technical assistance on a variety of mentoring topics through MMP's technical assistance project (TAP)
Levels of Membership
Mentoring programs can pursue three different levels of Quality-Based Membership:
MMP has made the membership process straightforward and easy to follow. Here are the three steps for getting started:
- Before you submit an application, preview it here or request a copy from MMP (see contact information below).
- All programs start with the application and check the 'affiliate level' box regardless of desired membership level.
- If you are eligible and are interested in working towards the highest level of membership, Partner, you will receive email instructions from MMP on the next steps, including completion of the self-assessment. Preview the self-assessment questionnaire.
- Please view our webinar for Formal Mentoring Programs!
For more information, please contact Janeen Smith, Senior Manager of Program Services, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We gathered our partner members at the QBM Summit for updates, connection, and to celebrate the 10th anniversary of the initiative.