It is important for program staff, mentors, mentees, families and caregivers to take care of themselves physically, mentally, and emotionally. Mass Mentoring Partnership knows how important it is for each of us to be present for the young people in our community.
Adults and mentors need to be able to take care of themselves in order to share themselves with young people, to offer them care, support, to truly listen and respond. Some of the ways to take care of oneself includes the following:
- Create a routine and schedule
- Make sure to get physical activity
- Take time for yourself
- Make sure you participate in some activities that bring you joy
- Engage in new hobbies
- Be kind to yourself - be realistic. You do not have to set your goals and expectations too high right now
- Set boundaries - know how much you can take on and how much you can do
We are collecting resources around self care that both adults and youth may find helpful and even engage in together. Here is a list of resources. If you would like to add to this list, please send us your ideas here.