Founded in 1992, Mass Mentoring Partnership (MMP) is fueling the movement to support empowering youth-adult relationships throughout Massachusetts. The organization’s vision is that every young person has the opportunity to be involved in empowering youth-adult relationships to create more vibrant and resilient communities. Headquartered in Boston and with a regional office in Holyoke, MMP serves a network of more than 250 mentoring and youth development programs statewide, supporting more than 33,000 youth in mentoring relationships.
The Director of Communications & External Affairs leads the analysis, planning, and implementation of Mass Mentoring’s marketing, communications and branding efforts. This position includes the dual role of marketing the services, resources, and achievements of Mass Mentoring and marketing the impact, importance and role of mentoring in our communities. Under the direct management of the President/CEO, the Director is responsible for development and execution of a marketing strategy and annual marketing plan that will support achievement of MMP's strategic goals. Working in partnership with the Senior Leadership Team, the Director leads efforts to raise the profile of mentoring and position MMP as a key player in youth development and the youth mentoring movement. MMP seeks to strengthen its efforts in cross-cultural communication and marketing and looks to the Director to provide leadership in this area. In partnership with the CEO, the Director will also serve as a key external representative of MMP at stakeholder meetings, public events, media appearances and in all settings where MMP and mentoring visibility is needed. The Director of Communications & External Affairs assures that MMP's messaging, brand, and reputation is expressed consistently and effectively to our stakeholders in pursuit of MMP's overall strategy and annual goals.
- To achieve maximum impact for MMP, the Director of Communications and External Affairs should possess the following skills and experience:
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum of ten years of experience in communications and marketing and/or public relations.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills with strong attention to details.
- Expertise in different types of writing, including reports, press releases, blog posts, social media content and policy-focused documents.
- A track record of creating and implementing effective communications campaigns.
- Experience working effectively with diverse communities in outreach campaigns and partnership development with emphasis in communities of color preferred.
- Have a genuine passion for and a strong commitment to increasing External Affairs for supporting disadvantaged youth and youth programming. This will also include an intellectual curiosity and dedication to understanding emerging trends, innovations and issues in the sector.
- Successful track record managing people.
- Excellent organizational skills demonstrated by the ability to manage multiple projects in a fast-paced and fluid environment including budget and staff management experience.
- Self-directed, able to work independently and function effectively in an entrepreneurial environment.
- Willingness to travel statewide as necessary.
MMP is committed to building a culturally diverse staff of professionals who are motivated to address diversity issues within our own work and constituencies with whom we work. Candidates of color, bilingual and bicultural candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Communications and External Affairs Strategy and Implementation
- Assist the President/CEO with cultivating and maintaining a strong public presence with diverse audiences, including policy makers, nonprofit and business leaders, and the general public to build powerful coalitions in support of MMP’s mission and goals. Draft talking points and attend events and meetings with CEO.
- Develop, implement and evaluate communication plans across the organization’s audiences.
- Identify media contacts, draft effective pitches and press releases and build relationships with reporters and major outlets.
- Create and sustain an organization-wide marketing strategy to advance MMP’s goals and objectives and work with the Communications Specialist to implement the strategy to support annual strategic objectives in all areas including fundraising, program services advocacy and field resources.
- Develop and manage co-branding and cause marketing opportunities with key partners to raise the profile of youth mentoring across the state and the impact of developmental youth/adult relationships. Strengthen current and develop new strategies and initiatives to grow this area of work.
- In collaboration with the Director of Development, develop a comprehensive strategy to communicate with and steward current donors and attract new donors.
- Oversee and facilitate public awareness deliverables for corporate and foundation supporters.
- Align MMP’s efforts in social media within the overall marketing strategy and integrate all social media strategies to create a cohesive effort moving forward.
- In partnership with the Communications Specialist, manage collaborations with key stakeholders in the area of marketing and communications, including a yearly work plan with pro-bono public relations and creative consultants that provide collateral design and creation.
- Manage current and develop new relationships with corporate and philanthropic partners providing donated admissions, tickets, and resources (match activities) that MMP distributes to mentoring programs to help to raise the profile of mentoring and support youth-adult relationships. Partner with staff to implement these opportunities with mentoring programs across the state.
- Manage marketing department budget including development, monitoring, and prioritizing financial resources.
- Supervise the Communications staff and all work plans for communication and marketing strategies agency-wide.
- Serve as a member of the Senior Leadership Team and collaborate with other members to provide oversight and strategy for the organization as a whole.
- Own major deliverables within high level events, including identifying invitees and speakers and developing agendas or presentation.
Next Steps: Please email a resume and cover letter, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position and salary requirement, both in Word format, to Lily Mendez, President & CEO at firstname.lastname@example.org subject line “ Director of Communications and External Affairs.” Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.